Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Turkey chili is the best hearty dish on fall and winter evenings. Always filling and verstaile enough to handle a host of different toppings, it's ideal for soup season. This recipe is the perfect base for a weeknight meal, done in only 45 minutes start to finish. It's hard to get any better, but enjoy with a glass of Canvasback Grand Passage and you've got the perfect evening.
- Olive oil
- 1 Medium to large onion, finely diced
- 5 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 cup dark beer
- (1) 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tbsps Dried coriander, toasted and ground
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Salt
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 Can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- Sour cream
- Chopped chives
- Shredded cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and cook until aromatic without color (approximately 5 minutes). Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes. Add beer and bring to simmer. Add chopped canned tomatoes, chili powder, coriander, oregano and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, sauté the ground turkey with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pour off the fat and add the cooked turkey to the tomato base. Add peppers, beans and continue to simmer for 10- 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with optional garnishes.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.