Green Bean Bundles with Mushrooms
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
The perfect side dish, these green bean bundles wrapped in bacon over a mushroom sauce are full of flavor. Pair it with a Canvasback Cabernet for the perfect pairing.
- 5 bacon slices
- 1 ½ lbs green beans - ends trimmed
- 2 large shallots - thinly sliced
- 1 lb mushrooms - cremini or other
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup Parmesan - grated
- Olive oil
- In a medium skillet - cook bacon - slightly under, not crispy. Place on a paper towel and set aside.
- In the same skillet using the bacon drippings, or if you prefer, clean the pan and use olive oil - cook the shallots in 2 batches until crispy. Place on a paper towel to cool.
- Blanch the green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente - about 2-4 minutes. Place the beans in ice cold water to stop the cooking, drain well. Spread the beans on a towel in a single layer and gently roll up the towel. This will help them dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- To make the bundles - cut each piece of bacon in half - take 6-7 green beans and wrap them with a half piece of bacon - place on a parchment lined sheet pan with the cut side of the bacon face down. Repeat with remaining green beans and bacon. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- While the bundles are cooking, prepare the mushroom sauce. In a large skillet over medium high - heat butter and a drizzle of olive oil. When hot, add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes, then add the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper - continue to cook until mushrooms are done - another 3-4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine - cook 2-3 minutes, add the cream and parmesan to the mushrooms - stir to combine and cook for a few minutes until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Keep warm.
Remove bundles from oven. Pour mushroom sauce on a warm serving platter and arrange bundles over the sauce. Garnish with crispy shallots and serve.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.