Yield: 6 as Hors d’ Oeuvres or 4 as an Appetizer
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Comfort food at its finest, this recipe is for everyone that feels nostalgic eating a grilled cheese sandwich. In this dish, three kinds of cheese come together for the perfectly melty, creamy bite every time. And while the secret to the golden crust is just a little bit of patience, our trick of starting with the cold saute pan helps too. You decide to cut in half or diagonally, just make sure to enjoy with Canvasback Rosé.
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- ¼ cup Soft or whipped butter
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Banyuls Vinegar
- 2 cups Cheese, grated Swiss and Gruyere
- ½ cup Cheddar, grated Extra Sharp
- Black Pepper and Salt
- In a medium bowl season the grated cheeses together generously with vinegar, salt and pepper. Put a thin layer of mustard on all eight slices of bread. Layer an even mixture of cheese onto 4 slices of bread. Close the sandwiches.
- Spread half of the butter on top of each sandwiches and place them butter side down onto a cold saute pan. Butter the remaining side of the bread. Place the sandwiches over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes with a cover. Periodically check to ensure bread is not burning.
- When cheese is visibly melted and bottom side is toasted flip and turn up heat. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 3 to 4 minutes. Slice and serve.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.